Friday, July 24, 2009

Cedar Plank Salmon...YUM

UPDATE: It looks like you need to save my file to have it print off properly...and to download it you need to be signed in to Scribd. It's free, and a great place to upload all your documents to, sort of like photobucket, but for pdf's. I tried printing it off but it keeps printing out mega-sized and the wrong layout (portrait instead of landscape) instead of the little 4x6 card that I made. I'll try to figure it out, seriously! If anyone has any tips, I could use some here! Thanks ;P

So inspired by Des and her post about her cedar plank salmon, I decided to share my favorite recipe for this yummy dish. I originally found this recipe in a Kraft Canada magazine, and you can now see the recipe HERE on the Kraft Canada website. You can also download my fancified version HERE. Remember yesterday, how you had to click on the image and then right click on it and blah blah blah? Well, I went back to that link Des had given me and they actually recommended using a site called Scribd, and here I was able to upload my recipe (which I had saved as a pdf from my scrap booking program) and when you click on the link, it takes you to the Scribd page with my document, and you can click to download it or print it out. Please let me know if you print it how it comes out, I don't want it to be all pixely or blurry. I made this card using the scrapping kit "Cooked to Perfection" by Lindsay Jane Designs. The font is DJB Journal Bits. I seriously think it's the best salmon recipe I have come across so far. In the words of P-Dub on many of her recipe posts, "the cast of characters:"
1/2c KRAFT SIGNATURE CALORIE-WISE Sundried Tomato and Oregano Dressing
1/4c finely chopped fresh parsley
1/4c oil-packed sundried tomatoes, drained, finely chopped
1 salmon fillet (2 lb./900 g), 1 inch thick

1 untreated cedar plank (available at most grocery stores.) Immerse the plank in water for at least 4 hours, or overnight, if you're a planner, which I'm totally not. I threw mine in the sink this morning with a can of pineapple on it to hold it down. (Pineapple is totally not in this recipe, it was just a random can that I grabbed from the pantry to weigh down the plank.)
Preheat the bbq to medium heat, and mix together the dressing, parsley and tomatoes.
Look at that color! Beautiful.
Pull your plank from the water and dab dry, brush the surface with 1tbsp (or more if needed) oil.
Top with salmon. Grill 10 minutes. Brush with dressing mixture, and grill another 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily with fork. Mmmm. Yummy oily tomato-ee-ness.Tips: Keep spray bottle handy in case of flare ups. Our board totally caught fire at the very end of cooking, as they do dry out, but the salmon was fine! Tasted out of this world. Fish can also be grilled on heavy duty tin foil instead of a cedar plank (but it just wouldn't taste the same!)

Also, if you'd like to see a video of Cedar Plank Grilling Basics, click HERE. Sorry for all the link ups today, but I just love to share when I find something cool.

You still here?? Ok, well then in that case, in other news, I'm going to be in my first ever scrap booking blog train! I will be offering up a freebie on my page, so stay tuned for that! Enjoy your weekend everyone!

3 comments:

Des said...

Awesome, Rose!! Your pictures look so delicious. I will let you know how the printing goes.

Lindsay Jane said...

Great recipe card! :)

MrsCullenized said...

I dont eat fish, but my hubby does. I am sure he would like this :)

Beware the few racy photos...thought it was worth it to see all the other ones!